Indoor air pollutants can have a negative impact on your health, including respiratory issues, fatigue, and headaches. Here are four indoor air pollutants that can affect indoor air quality.
1. Excess Moisture
While having some moisture in the air is good for your home and family, too much of it can be a significant issue. Excess humidity can damage your walls, ceilings, and furniture and cause mold and dust mites to thrive. These contaminants can aggravate the symptoms of asthma or allergies. An HVAC professional can incorporate a whole-home dehumidifier into your heating and cooling system to control moisture in your home.
2. Volatile Organic Compounds
Products such as aerosol sprays, paint, disinfectants, and pesticides emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs). They can cause problems such as eye irritation, nausea, and headaches. Long-term exposure can even cause kidney and liver damage. You can talk to a professional to ensure your home has proper ventilation and possibly install an air purifier to reduce VOCs.
3. Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that causes nausea, dizziness, headaches, and an elevated heart rate. High levels of carbon monoxide can even be fatal. It is emitted by fuel combustion and produced by some HVAC equipment, including furnaces. An HVAC technician can ensure furnaces and fossil fuel-burning appliances like dryers properly exhaust outdoors.
Radon is a colorless and odorless gas that comes from the soil and can make its way into your home. When inhaled, this gas can damage your lungs, and long-term exposure can lead to lung cancer. A professional can perform a test to detect if there are dangerous levels of radon in your home and work with you to solve the issue.
At Unitedly Service Group, we have been serving the residents of Rochester, MN since 2006. We install, maintain and repair heating and cooling systems. Additionally, we have indoor air quality training to help you make the best decisions for you and your home. If you suspect you have an issue with air pollutants in your home, contact Unitedly Service Group today!